Today Google Celebrates Chipko Movement
March 26, 2018
Today, Google Doodle has marked 45th anniversary of Chipko Movement.
What is Chipko Movement?
- Yea ago, in the early 70s, government decided to give a portion of the forests in Alakananda valley to a sports company. Sports company wanted the wood for manufacturing their products.
- But the villagers were unhappy with this decision as their livelihood depended on the forests. So, they opposed the government’s decision.
- There was a time, when the government announced the auction of 2,500 trees, overlooking the Alaknanda river.
- The chipko movement started when the lumberjacks arrived. Large numbers of women participated in this movement and they stopped the lumbermen by hugging the trees despite being threatened.
- These women challenged government as well as the lumbermen by putting up a brave fight.
- Some of the local women of village started this movement including Gaura Devi, Sudesha Devi and Bachni Devi.
- On the environmental laws of the country, the Chipko movement had a far reaching impact.