Motor Vehicle Amendment Bill 2017
India is very vulnerable to the road security, more than 1.5 lakh people die every year due to road accidents according to the “Road accident report 2016” given by Ministry of Road Transport and Highways. There is a huge volume of accidents in India.
This bill is introduced to amend the Motor Vehicle Act of 1988, which have been amendment four times before in 1994, 2000, 2001 and 2015 to update it with the changing technology in order to make roads safer.
In India the factors influencing accidents are mainly;
• Helmet and seat belts
• Drink and drive
For improving Road security the new Motor vehicle Amendment bill 2017 which was passed by Lok Sabha on 10 April 2017.
The key features of the bill are:
• Formulation of a National Transportation Policy
• Motor Vehicle Accident fund
• Cashless medical treatment to the injured
• 2 lakh death compensation.
Fines and Penalties which are recommended in the amendment bill 2017 are;
• Drink and Drive – Rs. 10,000 (Rs. 2,000)
• Rash Driving – Rs. 5,000 (Rs. 1,000)
• Driving without License – min Rs. 5000 (Rs. 500)
• Over Speeding- Rs 1,000 to 2,000 (Rs. 400)
• No Helmet or seatbelt – Rs. 1,000 (Rs. 100)
• Talking on Phone –Rs. 5,000 (Rs. 1000)
For the first time, the bill specifically lies down the credibility of the authorities which are responsible for the healthy functioning of the roads which are mainly the manufacturer and contractor. In case of sub-standard road construction, the constructor will accountable for any miss happening.