Health Tips for Runners and Sports People
If you are a runner or a sports person then you must eat before taking part in any activities. Before doing any activity, you must fuel your body with slow carbohydrates, which means complex carbs, as they will act as energy boosters during the run.
You must eat food that are low in glycaemic index, moderate in protein and low in fat to give your body all the nutrients it needs for the next few hours. Porridge with fruits, a chicken sandwich, fruits or a bagel and peanut butter are good options before the run. After the marathon, you tend to experience a muscle breakdown.
Therefore, your body requires more protein intake along with fluids, especially water. The food should be rich in antioxidants so as to recover from the cell damage caused during the run.
Following are some more health tips that you need to follow;
- You must avoid eating empty calories; instead choose to eat foods that give you the most nutrients per calorie.
- Never starve or eat too much before the run. Rather, eat a light, energizing meal or snack.
- Also do not eat three heavy meals; instead have small meals every three to four hours to keep energy up and going. The steadier input of food will keep your hunger pangs at bay and help your body maintain stable blood sugar levels.
- Ensure you are getting enough protein as it helps stabilize your blood sugar and helps you feel fuller for longer. Being a runner you should aim at consuming protein-rich snacks 20 minutes after working out. Also add more dairy foods, eggs, quinoa, soy and barley to your diet.
- Also never forget to eat something light before the training session or the marathon. Running on an empty stomach will only lead to sluggish workouts and increased hunger or cravings later in the day.